Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Miriam Makeba Ashe'


"There was a slight error,which I do not think you will mind my calling attention to. It concerns my African name. I would like to spell it correctly for you:

Zenzile Makeba Qgwashu Nguvama Yiketheli Nxgowa Bantana Baloma Xa Ufun Ubaphekeli, Mbiza Yotshawala Sithi Xa Saku Qgiba Ukhutja Sithathe Izitsha Sizi Khabe Singama Lawu Singama Qgwashu Singama Nqamla Nqgithi.

The reason for its length is that every child takes the first name of all his male ancestors. Often following the first name is a descriptive word or two, telling about the character of the person, making the true African name somewhat like a story."

-Miriam Makeba

Thank you Miriam for singing "Malaika, Nakupenda Malaika" and inspiring my mother to name me a name that calls out to the ancestors with each breath!

No comments: